Monday, March 30, 2009

I love New York...but Parsons hates me.

So I went to accepted students day at Parsons this weekend, and honestly, I would start classes there right now if I could.

First there was this very awkward breakfasty kind of thing, during which I met these two girls...I only remember one of their names: Carmen Ortiz, who has yet to accept my facebook request on facebook. Carmen, if you're reading this, ACCEPT!! But anyways, we got free Parsons tote bags and t-shirts for like...the reason that tuition is RIDICULOUS. During the following presentation, they actually joked about it, saying like, "Okay, we're going to read off some names to help offset the financial burden! ...with free sweatshirts!" During that pause I suspect there was supposed to be laughter...but no, everyone got tense and their eyes bulged. They were like, "Oh, shit, right, recession...$55000 price of attendence...*gulp*." I honestly believe they should have given EVERYONE a sweatshirt for that lovely misstep. But one of these boys I sorta became friends with got one, so it was pretty a'right.

Then they took us on a tour of the fashion building, first serving us an AMAZING lunch--they really made everything wonderfully comfortable, even renting out some pretty nice busses to chaffeur us between the buildings. They showed us the fashion curriculum, promised we'd want to kill ourselves afterwards, told us we'd been eating lunch in the room Project Runway was filmed, sent us on a tour of the building, then we went back to the first building, where I sat through a presentation on housing while waiting for Brendan--my ex who goes to school in NYC--to show up so I could meet his roommates. My mother went to a financial aid consulation, and came back with puffy, red eyes. She'd apparently started crying because they told her we'd not be getting any financial aid...it was heart breaking.

I'm listening to "What You Want" from Legally Blonde: The Musical...and I'm getting ready to kick some ass on scholarships. I'm going to Parsons, and I'll be damed if someone dare tell me otherwise. Fuck FAFSA--I don't need assistance. I got enough motivation to get myself through this.

No comments: